Chinese students with diploma from mainland China: how to apply for bachelor or master?

This procedure is only applicable to Chinese students who (will) have a secondary diploma from mainland China.

This procedure is not applicable to exchange students (Erasmus, traineeship, ...) or PhD applicants.

Before starting

Before starting the online application, please read the below information first

  • Take into account that there is a deadline. Before the deadline, you are required to submit the application package 
  • You can apply for a specific academic year. You cannot apply for a semester
  • You are required to upload your diploma and transcripts (in .pdf format). 
  • Applications are individual. A file number is assigned to each applicant
  • The processing of your application may take an average of 3 months after you have submitted your complete application package

Starting up the application procedure (online)


Start the online application 

 Required documents

Your complete application, including notarised documents, should be received by the Registrar's Office before the deadline
Please be aware that the Registrar's Office can ask you to hand in or present your original application documents any time during the application or enrolment process. If you fail to do so, you cannot be enrolled.
  • Applying at UGent is free of charge.
  • The list here-below is an overview. Depending on the programme that you are applying for and the origin of your diploma, you need to submit specific documents:
    1. A notarised copy of the basic diploma and transcripts:
      • Notarisation is done by the Public Notary Office of the People's Republic of China
      • The diploma and its transcripts must also be translated by a sworn translator into either Dutch, French, German or English.
      • We require the original notarised documents. This means that scanned or copied documents cannot be accepted. Exception: you have not yet graduated: you will be required to submit the notarised diploma upon enrolment.
    2. A translation of these documents into Dutch, French, German or English, translated by a sworn translator (this should be included in the notarised copy)
    3. For a bachelor application: If you have never studied at a university before, the form "Declaration of access to a university bachelor programme in the country where the diploma was awarded for the purpose of access to a bachelor programme at Ghent University": correctly filled in
    4. A copy of your passport (for most applicants it must be the international passport, if you are from the EU, the local identity card can also be accepted)
    5. The diploma supplement or equivalent: this is an overview of all courses taken, with the achieved outcome and the number of teaching periods. If no diploma supplement is issued by your university, you should add the official study programme (syllabus) describing the content of the subjects. If a webpage to the official course description is available, this may also be added. If the supplement was added in the educational background, you do not need to upload it a second time.
    6. If you are a refugee: an original letter stating that you are a refugee
    7. Proof of Dutch / English proficiency, depending on the programme that you are applying for. This document is to be submitted at the latest upon enrolment.
    8. If applicable and already available: an original APS certificate. Check if an APS certificate is required. Depending on your source of financing and/or the university where you obtained your bachelor diploma (partial) exemption may be possible. 
  • Attention: if you have (partial exemption) you are required to send an e-mail to the Ghent University China Platform mentioning your full name, date of birth, home institution in China. In case of partial exemption you must also mention the reason for the exemption of the interview. For more information, check the APS page of the China Platform
  • Enclose any documents that can add value to your application (certificates of programme-related courses, letter of motivation, ...). If you are applying for a programme at the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration or the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture it is strongly recommended to also submit a GMAT and/or GRE score

Not yet graduated before the deadline?

You need to start the application procedure and you also need submit your application package before the deadline. You do not need to wait until you graduate. Instead of the legalised diploma and final transcripts/diploma supplement, you are required to submit upon application:

  • an official declaration from your school/university confirming the expected graduation date and the exact name of the diploma that will be awarded.
  • your most recent transcript

If your application was successful, you are accepted at Ghent University and you will receive a letter of admission. This letter will mention that you will be required to submit a notarised copy of your diploma upon enrolment. You cannot enrol if you have not yet obtained the diploma on the basis of which you have been granted admission.

Assessment and outcome

  1. The International Admissions Desk - Registrar's Office (IAD) assesses your application, based on the submitted documents. The desk checks if you meet the general admission requirements for that programme and if all the required documents are submitted.
  2. If the application is complete, your application is sent to the faculty, which will assess the academic quality and suitability of your application. It is important that you assure that your application is complete and that you select supporting materials that best illustrate your academic achievement and future potential.
  3. The faculty will formally notify the Registrar of its decision and will return your file to IAD.
  4. IAD will inform you of the decision by sending you an official letter, signed by the Registar. When accepted this is called the letter of admission.


  • The processing of your application will take an average of 3-4 months after receipt of your complete application package.
  • Submitting additional documents after you have submitted your application, will not be beneficial to your application, since your file can be in several departments: at the faculty, at the Registrar's Office, ... It is important that you have your file complete before submission, unless you are requested to provide us with further information.

Letter of admission

When your application was successful, you will receive a letter of admission. This letter enables you to:

  • apply for a visa
  • apply for a scholarship
  • apply for housing at Ghent University residences
  • enrol for the Preparatory Year of Dutch
  • enrol as a Ghent University student

The letter of admission will state the following information:

  • Your details and file number (reference)
  • the programme that you were admitted to, and the faculty where the programme is organised
  • the date when the decision was made by the Faculty Board
  • the academic year in which you are admitted 
  • where you have to go and what you have to bring to enrol

Letter of deferred admission

It is possible that you have received a letter of admission, but that due to circumstances, you need to defer your admission. For that, you will need to make a new online enrolment application.



APS: China Platform